I arrived in NZ on Wednesday, February 18th, at 7:00 am, local time. Since then I’ve noticed some rather odd things – mind you, I’m from the States so these things could be completely normal to other people – so I thought I should share them in a list so people can be informed, humored, or shocked by my small discoveries. Hopefully this will be updated regularly.
1. The local Kiwis (New Zealanders) can always guess from my accent that I’m from the States.
2. Music from the USA is everywhere.
3. Some people don’t know where NZ is.
4. They call french fries chips.
5. Kiwis know more about American pop culture than I do.
6. A Kiwi from the North Island will visit Australia before the South Island.
5. There is a fruit called a figoa.
6. Flip flops are called jandals.
7. A hoodie is a jumper.